First Wellston Chamber of Commerce

The first Chamber of Commerce was organized in 1888, as local records reveal. The charter of "The Board of Trade of Wellston, Ohio" used to hang in the Mayor's office at City Hall.

active attorneys. Bingham is remembered by old-timers as a commander of the GAR post who, at soldiers' reunions and on other gala days, made quite a figure on horseback with his red sash would around his waist.

F.J. Williams, father of Mrs. Frank C. Morrow, was then Clerk of Courts and certified the charter, which was issued by J.B. Robertson, Secretary of State.

The signers were: R.W. Goddard, Jos. Gooding, T.J. Morgan, J.H. Sellers, Jr. A.B. Allen, C.M. Richards, and Hugh Barnhill.

Mr. Goddard was secretary of the Wellston Foundry Co. and vice president of the First National Bank.

Mr. Gooding was a prominent west side citizen, organizer of the Ohio Building Company and the Issued April 11, 1888, the Charter was notarized by Eli B. Bingham, then one of Wellston's most man who first improved West Broadway. He was the father of J.C. Gooding, Bob Gooding, Mrs. Charles E. Ramsey, Mrs. Henry S. Willard and Mrs. Jos. P. Gallagher.

T.J. Morgan was to become Wellston's wealthiest citizen, operator of many coal mines and dominate figure in many local companies. He built the Morgan Mansion on East Broadway (now the Wellston City Building).

J.H. Sellers was the organizer of the First National Bank. A.B. Allen, then a sportsman, later opened Wellston's largest saloon. C.M. Richards was the local undertaker and furniture dealer. Hugh Barnhill had a bookstore, later was postmaster and for many year was a power in Republican politics.

This article is from the February 14, 1933 issue of The Telegram