MARIETTA

The city of Marietta was the first permanent settlement in the Northwest Territory. The lands to which the Northwest territory is referring to is the area north of the Ohio River and west of Pennsylvania. The town was settled by a general in the American Revolution. His name is General Rufus Putnam and named Marietta for Queen Marie Antoinette of France. However the name Marietta was second to the name of Aldelphia. General Putnam was a member of George Washington 1797. The population of this area is 157,914. It has a geographic location such that it is 120 miles southeast of Columbus, Ohio, 140 miles southwest of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and 90 miles north of Charleston, West Virginia. The community is served by a major airport and bus lines. Its main artery of travel is Interstate 77, which runs north-south in eastern Ohio.

Back to Table of Contents

Back to Links About Cities